Tuesday, May 25, 2010

TEXTING??

I have been putting off adding Texting to our FAMILY plan due to a few reasons, its not because I'm afraid of technology.
First of all my husband thinks it too impersonal, well ,,Yes it is, He didn't want to see the kids walking around with their faces stuck to the front of their phones,TEXTING, and the #1 reason is that we both are very worried our kids will be texting while they are driving.
Our Middle Son is graduating from High School , and all he wanted was to have text messaging added to his phone, so we gave in. Added text messaging and bought him a new high tech phone for his graduation.With the BIG WARNING, get caught on the cell phone or Texting while driving the car, and its OFF.
 I am not kidding, within 1 hour , he had 125 text messages racked up already. CRAZY!!
I have been picked on by many of my friends, WHY DON'T YOU HAVE TEXT MESSAGING?, I would stay in touch more if I could Text.
Why cant you just pick up your little cell phone and call me!
So now the whole family has texting, it is actually a new fun , TIME CONSUMING thing to do, but it is just like emailing. One dimensional. No expression from your voice or your face.
I would rather talk on the phone or face to face, too many things get taken out of context through emails and text messaging, I would rather hear your voice, so I made sure one of the other rules for the text messaging, is that you call me on the phone at least once a week, I want to hear your voice.
Also, maybe I can keep up with technology better by learning to type with 2 fingers :)
Hope your day is as beautiful as it is here today in beautiful Southern California.

4 comments:

Connie said...

I refuse to have or use it because I like talking on the phone. More persona, sugar, just as you say. It can also kill people when the teen is texting while driving. Just be careful with your kids. I avoid teens and women and men every single day because they can't drive and text. To me it isn't worth it.
xoxo,
Connie

Rebecca Nelson said...

Girlfriend...I DON'T TEXT and neither does my computer savvy, makes a living with computers, knows all there is to know and then some, hubby! We can't stand it.

I understand SOME of why it "SEEMS" necessary but I will NOT give in. Not yet. To me it IS impersonal and I want no part of it.

Just watch the news and see how MANY kids are being killed and maimed and you will know you are doing the right thing putting down the law with your son!

You go mom! LOVE THIS POST!

xoRebecca

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I don't text, and I hope I never have to because I can't see the tiny letters! LOL!

I also saw a funny cartoon that said, "Honk if you love Jesus. Text if you want to meet Him!" ;-)

But it's not really that funny. I can't believe that people do that DRIVING.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Nishant said...

It can also kill people when the teen is texting while driving.
Adsense Alternative